Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Where am I now?

ICT...Information Communication Technology, well, at least I think that is what it means. It used to be simply called IT - Information Technology, so why the change? Probably because in this era, the use of IT does not merely represent the use of technological tools alone. Through its advancement, IT can now be used as a platform of communication worldwide.
When I first joined the profession 8 years ago, we are trained to be IT savvy so that we can conduct lessons using the various Microsoft Office tools such as Powerpoint, Word and Excel. The objective is to make lessons more engaging for the pupils especially through the animated pictures and sounds. No problems with that!
But now, that is not enough! Computers have become a part of the pupils' lives and the World Wide Web is just a click away. It is not uncommon for pupils to communicate their thoughts, find out information, gain knowledge and keeping in touch via the net and other technological tools.
Thus, I believe that ICT could be an important teaching resource and tool which I could probably tap on in order to engage my pupils effectively in schools. The challenge would then be, to create ICT lessons which are effective in engaging the pupils and at the same time achieving the objectives of my lessons. And that is something I think I really need to work hard on!

No comments: