Friday, April 11, 2008

My Final Thoughts on My Learning Journey in MAE 812

It's been a fruitful yet thought-provoking journey during the past ten weeks....I thought I've always been one of those teachers who uses ICT confidently in the language classroom and know why I am using it. Not after going through this course, though. There is so much that I don't know about ICT - the advancement in the technology itself, the objectives of using ICT for a language classroom, the many digital resources that is available out there and what makes an effective digital resource in the first place. So, what is my personal outcome after this journey?

Firstly, I would say that this journey is far from over. On a personal goal, as an individual, I've realised that I am not updated on the advancement in technology as much as I think I should. There are many language resources available online that I am not aware of. This course has exposed me to some of these digital resources and so, the next step for me would be to try them out in my language classroom so that my pupils can gain some learning from them. I also should keep abreast of the kind of ICT activities and tools that the Net-gen kids are involved in so that I can better understand their skills and tap on their expertise in ICT. The course also reaffirmed the importance of designing a student-centred learning environment for an effective language classroom. More importantly, the design of an ICT based lesson should support the pedagogy in the teaching of the language and not the other way round. As a teacher, that should be my first priority. I must also be willing to learn from my pupils and see them as partners in my classroom. Pupils wil gain more if there are mutual learning between them and between me and them. With the introduction to Chapelle's model, I am in a better position to assess the digital resources available for my use.

Through attending this course, I realised the importance of a teacher to understand why there is a need to use ICT in a language classroom. It is not about the 'what' of ICT but to understand how effective ICT can be as an effective tool and resource to teach the language. On a collegial goal, I see the need for me to share and educate my colleagues on how ICT can be an effective tool in the teaching of the language. They need to know why they are using ICT. They need to realise that an effective language classroom starts with a good pedagogical lesson plan (Clear, Relevant, Interesting, Short and Productive). They also need to be convinced that planning an ICT-based lesson may take up more time but will eventually save time over time. Their mindset also needs to be changed; they should be willing to work closely with the pupils, learn from them and tap on their expertise.

Once every teacher in the school is clear on the role of ICT in a language classroom, the school can then work on its institutional goals with regards to the use of ICT in one's teaching. The school can then build up on its ICT culture and uses it to teach across subjects so as to maximise the benefits of using ICT in one's classroom. Assessment modes need to be looked into so that pupils will be assessed fairly on the skills and objectives achieved with the use of ICT in the classroom.

No comments: